Piney Gir, who the Independent rightly called a “transatlantic pop guru”, makes a return with single ‘Alchemy Hand’ released digitally through Reckless Yes on 4 April 2022.
It comes alongside news of an EP of the same name due on 24 June. Piney has also been announced as support for the sold out Gaz Coombes (Supergrass) tour across the UK this month.
Following on from 2021 EP ‘Astral Spectra’, single ‘Alchemy Hand’ draws deeper on occult and spiritual imagery through the lyrics, while building rhythm-punctuated yet woozy alt-rock melodies. A through-the-looking-glass dream, the track serves equal parts wonder and apprehension, circling rhythms and melody drawing you onward in a welcome but reverent trance.
Labelled the ‘indie Dolly Parton’ Piney Gir said of the single ‘Alchemy Hand’, “I’m always looking for magic in nature and everyday life. I love how the Hand of Mysteries (aka Alchemy Hand) symbolises a recipe using the primes of alchemy: sulphur, mercury and salt. Legend has it that these elements combined will transform lead into gold and man into god.
“I don’t take that literally but combining these elements may manifest an affinity with the divine and spiritual riches if you put that intention out there. The union of these energies creates a stronger sense of togetherness, sparks a feeling of connection and that gives me hope.”
Taking the exploration of spirituality forward from the music, Piney shares her own practice, the inspiration from which echoes through the lyrics of the track. She said, “If you want to make your own ‘Alchemy Hand’ shrine, it only takes three elements, but you can add more bits and bobs to personalise your shrine:
- Salt: I use Himalayan rose salt because it’s pretty but any salt would do
- Mercury: anything representing the sea and/or water. I have a little hand-crafted clay mermaid dish that I keep a few trinkets in (the trinkets have personal meaning to me), but a seashell or a rock from the beach, a piece of aquamarine, a pearl, or even just a little thimble of water would work
- Sulphur: light a match – the sparks reveal a magic moment.”
The single leads into a new EP of the same name, set for release on 24 June 2022.
UK live tour dates
Piney Gir will be playing across the UK in April, opening dates on the sold out tour for Gaz Coombes (Supergrass) as well as supporting Salad:
- 9 April – Colchester Arts Centre – with Salad. Tickets
- 14 April – Lexington, London – with Gaz Coombes (sold out)
- 15 April – Bath Moles, Bath – with Gaz Coombes (sold out)
- 16 April – The Forum, Tunbridge Wells – with Gaz Coombes (sold out)
- 21 April – Trades Club, Hebden Bridge – with Gaz Coombes (sold out)
- 22 April – Crescent Club, York – with Gaz Coombes (sold out)
- 23 April – Brudenell Social Club, Leeds – with Gaz Coombes (sold out)
Piney Gir on social media and streaming
Reckless Yes 2022 membership
If you have a membership to Reckless Yes for 2022 you can find this track in the digital vault now. If you’d like to get it and all our other releases for this year there is still time to sign up – subscriptions close at the end of March!