If you’re thinking about working with Reckless Yes and sending us some of your music please take a read of the information here and take some time to make sure you think we’re right for you, and you for us.
- an independent and ethical record label working collaboratively with artists to make great things for our membership and music fans
- looking for artists who are already taking control of their success, building their audience, and – of course – have great music to share
- offering licensing deals for the manufacture, distribution, promotion, and sale of releases
- able to off-set the costs of releasing your music through our membership model, plus a profit split
- committed to our social and environmental priorities and looking for artists who share our values while keeping our roster diverse
- currently planning for our 2021/2022 release.
- here to deliver your success for you. We’re here to support you to achieve the right thing for you
- here only for your admin – our work is collaborative from both sides and mutual respect is a must
- forcing artists to comply to a fixed process – our approach is tailored to you and your release based on what we know works
- offering exclusive deals or 360 deals where money is taken from band activity the label doesn’t have any involvement in
- taking your ownership of Masters, or your Publishing royalties
- here for individual profit but to fairly optimise the money which is returned to artists for their creative efforts
- supporting those who don’t share our values, aren’t able to work collaboratively and with mutual respect, or don’t have amazing music we know we can support toward success.
How to make a submission to Reckless Yes
We get sent a lot of music from a lot of bands. We listen to it all. We might not always email you back. Sorry.
Anything you send us we’ll listen to with a number of possibilities in mind:
- Do we want to cover your band at a publication we write for?
- Do we want to include your track on a playlist we curate?
- Do we want to talk to your about artist management or development?
- Do we want to talk to you about releasing your music?
Before you send us anything – listen to the records/artists we have already released and get to know the type of music that floats our boat.
We like music that is interesting, left field, different and quirky of all genres. We’re not looking for the next Ed Sheeran. If you sound like the Foo Fighters, we’re not going to be interested, because Dave Grohl really has got that nailed.
Describe your band concisely – reference artists that influence you and be creative with your use of adjectives. We are much more likely to listen to your music if you say something like ‘imagine Pavement covering Black Sabbath with Captain Beefheart on vocals and you’re half way there – crunchy guitars wrestle with a quirky garage-y rhythm section that together soundtrack the rantings of a tortured racoon.’ That one sentence conjures images that are intriguing enough to make us want to listen to your music. Use a quote from coverage you’ve had if putting descriptions together isn’t your thing.
If you write something generic like ‘we are a melodic indie rock band who believe strong songs and great live performances are key’. That tells us nothing that sets you apart from all the other bands sending us music. We can’t stress enough the opening sentence of your biog that describes your music is your sales pitch – your strap line – take time to get this right or find a journalist or blogger who can help you craft it.
Tell us what you’re doing, how you’ve promoted your music so far, what gigs you’ve played and what you’ve got coming up. We have a strong work ethic and we like to work with artists who do too. You’ve got to be hungry and keen and motivated. You have to be into mutually respectful collaboration. We work with our artists as a team to make our releases a success and that means getting out there and doing stuff. Some links to any reviews you’ve had would be useful, but not essential.
Hit us with your BEST song/composition. If you’re linking to a Soundcloud or Bandcamp page, link directly to your most immediate ‘calling card’ track. We know what we like and you’ve got around ten seconds to make us go “Oooh, this is good.” That’s quite generous – you decide if you’re going to like a person within six seconds of meeting them. We prefer not to be sent downloads or links to download in a first email.
If you’re looking for us to sign you – ask yourself ‘Is this ready? Is this the best it can be?’ It doesn’t have to have been recorded in a proper studio with an experienced producer (though that does sometimes help), but it does have to have been recorded well enough for us to take you seriously. If you knocked it up on your iPhone this morning, unless it’s exceptional, we’ll probably pass this time.
If you haven’t heard back from us yet, don’t send us another email. We’ll get round to you and respond accordingly. It can take us a while, we’re super busy putting records out as well as having proper grown up lives with our respective families.
Finally, please put “Majestic Unicorn” in the subject header of your submission email. We filter by subject, get a lot emails and we’d like to know you’ve bothered to read our submissions policy.
Do take an interest in Reckless Yes
Please join up with us in the following places to find out more about what we do – we are pretty chatty so please do talk to us online: